Frequently Asked Questions

How many types of Student visas are there?

  1. Short-term study visa
  2. Tier 4 (Child) student visa
  3. Tier 4 (General) student visa


How do I apply for a student visa?

If you are already in the UK, then you need to contact the UK (Home Office) Border Agency. However, if you live overseas, you should contact the British High Commission or Embassy in your home country. You will then need to complete an application form and supply a range of supporting documentation. For further information check https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa. ​

How do I qualify to come to the United Kingdom to study?

  1. You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you:
  2. have been offered a place on a course
  3. can speak, read, write and understand English
  4. have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course – the amount will vary depending on your circumstances
  5. are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  6. meet the other eligibility requirements

There is two types of In order to qualify for a student visa, you need to obtain an offer to study a full-time course at UK University or Higher Education College. You need to demonstrate that you are in a position to support yourself financially, either through your own means or through a sponsor, including the payment of your tuition fees.

Do I need an IELTS or TOEFL English qualification?

  • For most courses, applicants need to show a minimum level of English competence. Applicants who did not study English as their formal language of instruction in their home country are expected to demonstrate a reasonable command of the English language. This is not necessary if you are looking to apply for a student visitor’s visa in order to study an English language course for less than 12 months. However, if you are applying for a Tier 4 student visa then you will need an IELTS (or TOEFL equivalent for the USA) total score of 5.5 with no sub-element less than 5.0. Your IELTS must not be more than exactly 2 years old.​

What are the academic requirements?

  1. Students are judged on two things: 1) their academic achievements and qualifications, for instance their A-level or International Baccalaureate scores Thanawya which are country specific, or 2) their professional experience (this is especially relevant for postgraduate applications).
  2. Please contact us for further advice.

What is the application process?

  • The quickest way to apply is by using our Apply Online page on this website. You can also apply via our social media or by emailing us direct. Please feel free to Contact Us if you want to discuss this further or require assistance. Once you have applied through UKUD, we will apply and monitor the progress of your applications until we secure a suitable offer for you. Once an offer is confirmed, you can use the letter of acceptance to apply for a student visa.

What are the UK visa Fees?

  1. In the UK It costs £328 to apply for this visa from outside the UK.
  2. In the UK You must pay £328 per person for any dependants.
  3. In the UK You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surchargeas part of your application. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

How long you can stay?

  1. You can arrive in the UK before your course starts:
  2. up to 1 week before, if your course lasts 6 months or less
  3. up to 1 month before, if your course lasts more than 6 months
  4. How long you can stay depends on the kind of course you’re doing and what study you’ve already completed.

Is there any Company registration fee?

  1. There is no fee. UKUD will not charge you for any of its application services but will charge you a deposit to ensure you are serious with your application. You are able to claim some of your deposit within 30 days following your enrolment.
  2. There is a change for you PhD application and support depending on how much support you are looking for. This is on an individual basis

What accommodation is available?

  • A wide range of accommodation offers are available, from privately-rented flats to staying with an English family. We will be advising you on best choices and best accommodation option for you. UKUD will also assist throughout the application process, to ensure your accommodation needs are passed on to your university.

Do I need private medical insurance?

  • Medical Insurance is required for anyone entering the UK on a student visa.

What is the closing date for applications?

  • There is no fixed closing date for applications. However, we strongly advise you to start the application process as early as possible to avoid delays and disappointments. If you are unsure about when a particular course is running, feel free to get in touch with us.

Am I allowed to work in the UK while I am studying at a UK college or university?

  • During your studies in the UK, if you are on a Tier 4 visa you will be allowed to take up part-time work of no more than twenty hours per week during term-time. This excludes cases where your work placement is an integral part of your studies and is conducted with the agreement of your university.

Are UK/USA university qualifications recognised internationally?

  • UK and USA universities are some of the world’s most prestigious and respected institutions. A Bachelors or Masters degree is an internationally-recognised qualification and is highly valued by employers across the world.

What are the starting dates of the courses?

  • Course starting dates vary. Most Undergraduate and Masters Courses tend to start in September, but some universities have 2 or even 3 entry points for some of the courses. You can start English also at varying points in the year depending on the University or College. Please get in touch if you would like to enquire about the start date for a particular course.

If there is a placement fee/ deposit  for a specific programme, can I claim the deposit back?

  • Fees or deposits are normally charged on specific bespoke programmes with limited places and so sometimes deposits are charged to ensure all places are secured usually on a ‘first come first serve’ basis, and so you will have the opportunity to claim your deposit back within 30 days from the day of enrolment (which may exclude minor expenses such as bank transfer costs, etc.). Following the 30 days you will unfortunately lose that right to claim any deposit back.

Does UKUD Company operate by professional codes of conduct?

  • Yes we do, we operate by both the British Council and the UK council for International Student Affairs Code of Ethics. All UKUD staff are trained to the highest standard in order to provide you with the most professional advice.

Open chat